Papers in Progress
- Early drafts or preprints of my papers are posted on academia.edu.
- D.Phil., University of Oxford, 2009. Thesis: “The Reception of Aristotle’s Categories, 80 BC to AD 220.”
- M.Phil., University of Oxford, 2006.
- B.A. (Hons.), University of British Columbia, 2004.
- Olympiodorus of Alexandria: On Plato First Alcibiades 10–28. Bloomsbury Academic, 2016.
- Aristotle’s Categories in the Early Roman Empire. Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Olympiodorus of Alexandria: Life of Plato and On Plato First Alcibiades 1-9. Bloomsbury Academic, 2014.
- Dissertation: The Reception of Aristotle’s Categories, 80 BC to AD 220. University of Oxford D.Phil., 2009.
- With R.R.K. Sorabji: Ancient Commentators on Aristotle series (Bloomsbury Academic)
Selected Articles and Chapters
- “Ammonius and His School.” Brill Handbook of the Ancient Reception of Aristotle. Ed. Andrea Falcon. Leiden: Brill, 2016: 394–414.
- "Proclus on the Ethics of Self-Constitution." Causation and Creation in Late Antiquity. Ed. Anna Marmodoro and Brian D. Prince. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015: 202–219.
- “Universals, Education, and Philosophical Methodology in Later Neoplatonism". Universals in Ancient Philosophy. Ed. Riccardo Chiaradonna and Gabriele Galluzzo. Pisa: Edizioni della Scuola Normale, 2014: 353–380.
- “Hypostasizing Socrates". The Neoplatonic Socrates. Ed. D. Layne and H. Tarrant. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2014: 97-108.
- "Pliable Platonism? Olympiodorus and the Profession of Philosophy in Sixth-Century Alexandria". Plato in the Third Sophistic. Ed. Ryan C. Fowler. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2014: 73–97.
- “Which “Athenodorus” Commented on Aristotle’s Categories?”. Classical Quarterly 63.1 (2013), 199-208.
- “Proclus on Light as the Vehicle of the Soul”. Dionysius 30 (2012), 161-86.
- “What has Aristotelian Dialectic to offer a Neoplatonist? A Possible Sample of Iamblichus at Simplicius On the Categories 12,10-13,12″. International Journal of the Platonic Tradition 6.2 (2013): 173-185.
- “What Does Aristotle Categorize?”. The Peripatetic School Through Alexander of Aphrodisias = Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies 55.1. Ed. Michael Edwards and Peter Adamson. London: Institute of Classical Studies, 2012. 69-108.
- “A Middle Minoan Egg-Cup at the University of British Columbia”. Mouseion 47 (2004), 233-238.
- “Apollo’s Hawk at Aristophanes, Birds 516″. Classical Quarterly 54.2 (2004), 610-613.
- Review of C. Natali and D.S. Hutchinson, Aristotle: His Life and School. In Notre Dame Philosophical Review 2014.01.29 (2014).
- Review of J. Cooper, Pursuits of Wisdom. In Classical Review 64.1 (2014): 52-54.
- Review of R. Sharples, Peripatetic Philosophy. In Journal of Hellenic Studies 133 (2013). 2 pp. MS.
- Review of B. Freydberg, Philosophy and Comedy: Aristophanes, Logos, and Eros. In Text and Presentation = Comparative Drama Conference Series 6 (2010): 183 – 185.
- Review of M. Tuominen, The Ancient Commentators on Plato and Aristotle. In Journal of Hellenic Studies 130 (2010): 283 – 284.
- “Selfhood and Ethics in Plato and Indian Buddhism.” Ethics without Self, Dharma without Atman: Western and Buddhist Philosophical Traditions in Dialogue. Ed. Gordon Davis. 50 pp. MS.
- “The Ancient Commentators”. Oxford Handbook of Science and Medicine in the Classical World. Ed. Paul Keyser and John Scarborough. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Submitted and accepted.
- “Olympiodorus of Alexandria.” Brill Handbook of the Ancient Reception of Plato. Eds. Harold Tarrant, Danielle Layne, and Dirk Batlzly. Submitted and accepted.
- Co-Organizer, 3rd Canadian Colloquium for Ancient Philosophy. McMaster University, 2016.
- Co-Organizer, 2nd Canadian Colloquium for Ancient Philosophy. University of British Columbia, May 2014.
- Ancient and Medieval Area Coordinator, Canadian Philosophical Association Annual Congress. September, 2013–2014.
- Co-Organizer, 1st Canadian Colloquium for Ancient Philosophy. University of Alberta, May 2012.
- "Imagination and the 21st Century University", Keynote Address, UBC Student Leadership Conference, January 2017
- "Meaning, Method, and Dialectic in Aristotle's Categories," Conference on Aristotle's Earlier Logical Works, New College, University of Oxford, November 2016
- "Themistius on Rhetoric, Philosophy, and Excellence," University of Oxford Philosophy and Late Antiquity Seminar, May 2015
- "How Andronicus of Rhodes Made us Read Aristotle's Categories First," Princeton Classical Philosophy Colloquium, December 2014
- "Aristotle and Alexander on Mental States," American Philosophical Association (Pacific), San Francisco, March 2013
- "Simplicius of Cilicia’s use of philosophical history," 31st Annual Meeting of the Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy. New York City. October 12, 2013.
- "The Earliest Commentators," Ancient Commentators on Aristotle Colloquium, London, December 2012
- "Neoplatonic Psychology and Pedagogy," Karl und Gertrud Abel Conference, University of Trier, December 2012
A full CV is available by request.